[macemacsjp-english 567] Re: remote file editing using carbon emacs

Back to archive index

Plessl Christian pless****@tik*****
Tue Apr 25 01:54:27 JST 2006

Hi Oliver

On 24.04.2006, at 17:10 Uhr, Oliver Zahn wrote:

> Hi Christian,
> thanks for the reply. I simply didn't know how to use it properly
> (having the / in front of my username). Now it works at least from
> work via dhcp, reading NFS files from my laptop. I'll be curious to
> see whether it'll also work when logging in from elsewhere. Am
> hopeful though, since tramp seems to be using ssh, not ftp or
> something insecure.

If I remember correctly, tramp is very smart and figures out what
protocols and mechanisms can be used from implementing the remote
editing connection. You can see this autodetection process in your
emacs status line, when tramp is initielalized.

> By the way, do you happen to know of any other programs that run
> remotely, besides emacs?

What do you mean by running remotely?

The KDE environment supports a similar thing called kioslaves, which
allows any KDE application to access remote resources via a large
number of protocols. Some editors have also included sftp support,
e.g., BBedit or they support Transmit, Fugu etc.

Best regards,
  Christian